I wrote a post recently entitled ‘My Worst Travel Ailments’, where I discussed some of my most severe mishaps on the road. This post is in the same vein, going back to some of my most cringe-worthy travel moments. These included burning my ass with a curling iron and getting food poisoning while hitchhiking though Laos. Everyone who has backpacked knows that it is not always glamorous. Sometimes it’s shitty and grimy and downright terrible. However, we can all laugh about it in retrospect, right?
That Time I Fell Out Of My Inner Tube
After hitchhiking through Laos, I ended up at the small party town, Vang Vieng. Vang Vieng is notorious for 20-something backpackers to get really drunk in and make terrible choices. I decided that it would be a great idea to go tubing after taking 5 shots of Lao whisky, and promptly fell out of my inner-tube. I skidded for about 5 minutes down the river. This tale could have ended in tragedy, but ended instead with a really scraped butt and a bunch of Canadian guys laughing at me. To make matters worse, I had bought a ‘waterproof’ camera pouch from a street vendor. It wasn’t waterproof.
When My Ex-Boyfriend Nearly Broke My Foot
I was in the parking lot on the back of my ex-boyfriends scooter, and we were bickering about something. Shocker, I know. He wasn’t paying attention, and proceeded to accelerate and ram my foot into the parked engine of the bike nearby. Needless to say, I started cursing him out in front of aghast Thais who looked at me like I should be sent to the Thai version of the Jerry Springer show.
Keeping it classy.
Disclaimer: To his credit, he did feel really badly about it.
When I Rode The Subway Alone Barefoot
One of the times I really questioned living abroad, or really ever going out drinking again, was when I rode the subway home alone at 5am barefoot. My friend and I had gone out clubbing, and in a drunken and angry stupor, she demanded her heels back that she had loaned me earlier in the night. The reasons behind this were simply because of boy problems and too much tequila. Mainly the tequila. We’ve since kissed and made up, but at the time I was livid and left for the subway in my club dress. Barefoot. At 5am. Needless to say, I got a lot of attention, most of it entirely unpleasant. Not my proudest moment.
When A Drunk Girl Puked On Me
This was one of my most disgusting travel moments, and it gives me the icks just to write about it, but here it goes. I was at a bar in Mexico waiting for the bathroom when a Mexican girl came up to wait behind me. She had a slightly vacant expression, and I wasn’t sure she was okay. I hesitantly said “Hola….” Without a word she looked at me blankly and proceeded to vomit down my arm. Her boyfriend ended up taking her away and apologizing profusely, but nothing is more of a buzz kill than getting puked on.
When I Pissed Off North Korea
I visited North Korea with my Seoul sister, Emma. I knew that I needed to be on my best behavior, but somehow still managed to get a North Korean guard to yell at me. While we were in Joint Security Area, I thought the guard had motioned for us to sit down. In reality, he was motioning for us to move along, but I attempted to sit down at the table reserved for international security officers and the like. Needless to say, no one in the room was pleased and I got quickly scolded by my tour guide. Was it worth it? Hell, yes.
Look at that smiling face.
That Time My Foot Was Infected
While in Pokhara, Nepal, I got a tiny cut on my toe. Not having learned my lesson from the infected spider bite in Cambodia, I put a bandaid over it and forgot about it. Cut to four days later, with me limping down the street in Kathmandu, trying to find a doctor. I eventually found a ‘doctor’ (more like a roadside pharmacist) who practiced outside on the middle of the busy street. He took one look at my toe and told me “No shit, it’s infected.” He promptly pulled out a pack of antibiotics, some scissors and gauze, and motioned me behind the table. I thought he was going to bandage it up for me. However, he proceeded to cut into the infection while I whimpered and asked him “Did you sterilize those scissors?” I think I may have finally learned my lesson.
Ah well, you live and you learn. I’m sure that I will think of other cringe-worthy travel moments to entertain my readers with in the future. These moments certainly won’t be the last of my embarrassing experiences while on the on the road. However, I wouldn’t have it any other way.